It takes more than great baseball or expensive beer to draw fans to the ballpark. A team needs a strong lineup of giveaways. We rank the top 20 promotional freebies that fans can get this season at Guaranteed Rate Field and Wrigley Field this season.
Nothing says saving money like stealing a base. You put the coin in front of Baez’s hand and then he pushes it toward the base and into the slot. And, of course, it features his sleight-of-hand swim move. Instant classic.
It’ll be Marvel Super Hero Night at the Rate — and since the Sox didn’t land Manny Machado, this might be only superhuman event they’ll be celebrating. Until Michael Kopech returns, that is.
3. April 14: Replica Wrigley Field statue (Cubs vs. Angels).
As many changes as this ballpark has had in the last six years, this figurine shows how little of it has actually changed — if you don’t count those video boards.
4. June 26: Cubs BBQ “Mitt” (Cubs vs. Braves).
A barbecue mitt shaped like a baseball mitt. Genius. Next year, how about tongs shaped like baseball bats?
5. Aug. 11: Harold Baines replica Hall of Fame plaque (Sox vs. Athletics).
That’ll be Harold Baines Day at the Rate. Perfect gift to mark the occasion.
The White Sox first baseman has won the slugger award twice now, last year and also in 2014. Despite playing only 128 games in 2018 because of injuries, Abreu hit 22 home runs and drove in 78 runs with a .265 average.
7. July 16: Cubs 1969 replica jersey (Cubs vs. Reds).
The memories of that season are painful, but the uniforms are classics.
8. May 4: Star Wars R2-D2 bobblehead (White Sox vs. Red Sox).
R2-D2 stands for “second generation robotic droid Series-2,” which someday might be the home plate umpire.
9. May 5: Los White Sox soccer jersey (White Sox vs. Red Sox).
This red-and-white jersey with the block-letter Sox logo is handsome. But, hey, we have to ask: Shouldn’t it be “Las Medias Blancas”?
10. June 21: Anthony Rizzo: “Out on the Water” bobblehead (Cubs vs. Mets).
This season’s Cubs bobblehead series features players’ hobbies off the field. Rizzo reportedly enjoys being on the water and so his will somehow incorporate a boat. He also has gone swimming with the sharks, which we’d suggest for the 2020 model.
11. May 18: Carlos Rodon bobblehead (Sox vs. Blue Jays).
He sure looks healthy as a bobblehead. Let’s hope the real thing can stay off the injury list this season.
12. July 15: Kris Bryant “Round of Golf” bobblehead (Cubs vs. Reds).
Not only does the Cubs third baseman play a lot of golf, his baseball swing is modeled after his golf technique.
13. June 1: Chicago-themed White Sox Jersey (Sox vs. Indians).
This classy baseball jersey is black with white pinstripes and White Sox written across the front. Also has the city’s skyline represented on the sleeves as well as a nod to the Chicago flag along the sides.
14. Sept. 15: Pedro Strop ”Karaoke Night” bobblehead (Cubs vs. Pirates).
Last year, the Cubs reliever brought his karaoke machine on the plane as the Cubs headed home for the All-Star Game break. So that would explain this.
15. June 15: White Sox Hawaiian Shirt (Sox vs. Yankees).
Not everyone can pull off a tropical baseball shirt, but that’s the beauty of this fashion statement.
16. April 13: Cubs and Star Wars blanket (Cubs vs. Angels).
Whether you’re a fan of this movie franchise or not, you’ll probably appreciate a blanket sitting through an April game at Wrigley.
17. June 29: White Sox 312 hat (Sox vs. Twins).
Guaranteed Rate Field is technically in the 773 area code (southern border is 35th Street), but one of the parking lots is in the way-cooler 312 zone.
18. April 6: White Sox hoodie (Sox vs. Mariners).
A hoodie will be nice for the second home game of the season. Hope fans won’t need a parka.
19. July 19: Jon Lester “On the Farm” bobblehead (Cubs vs. Padres).
The Cubs pitcher owns a farm just outside Atlanta. No images yet of this, but we sure it hope it features overalls and a tractor.
20. June 23: Clark hooded towel (Cubs vs. Mets).
Sadly this is only available to the first 5,000 fans age 13 or younger.